Thursday, January 3, 2013

Poor Little Hamsters

The dreadmill
Hamster hell
The death belt

Normally I'd say I was being a bit overdramatic but this time it's completely justified. And if you've been running (or really just exercising) for a while, chances are that you are familiar with the feeling of dread and torture device that is known by most as the treadmill.

When I first embarked on my weight loss and fitness journey, I could barely run a block. I started really small, primarily using my Wii Fit to exercise (I had a long tumultous relationship with the balance board. His name was Harold. Sadly we parted ways) Slowly I started incorporating more traditional forms of fitness. I started walking outside, trying to go half of a block further each day. After a few weeks I decided that I might try and "run" so I picked a stretch of sidewalk that was safely shielded from traffic/people/dogs/nosey birds and potentially low flying planes. I jogged one block and then promptly declared that I WAS GOING TO DIE and walked home.

But the next time I ran a block and a half before I felt the impending death. Over the next two months I focused on running more blocks than I walked. Slowly I improved as a runner but like many college girls, I preferred to glide away on my elliptical, cycle fervently to nowhere in spin class, and climb and climb and climb on my stairmaster. A group fitness junkie, the gym became a serious part of my social life and pretty much the only thing about my university that made me not miserable. I

It wasn't until my Senior year of college that I truly fell in love with running. The second I pinned on that bib for my first 5k, I was hooked. The competitive energy, the adrenaline rush and the sense of accomplishment when I crossed the finish line were so exciting.

But mostly the sense of competition. What can I say? I'm sweet, well-mannered and just about is good-tempered as can be (I say dear, good grief and fiddlesticks :) but stick a racing bib and a pair of running shoes on me and you'd better stay out of my way. Because I must break you.

(that was supposed to be Ivan Drago from Rocky...because I'm just as scary as he is...)

Now I'm a full on running junkie. I actually believe that my body craves the endorphins. They say that that is the first step. Admitting you have a problem. I mean I don't. But you know, some people, they might. Not me.

Anyways...I'm strictly an outdoor runner (like an outdoor cat) and enjoyed a wonderful streak of outdoor running...like a solid 7 months without having to go inside. I plodded through rain, wind, mud, freezing cold, fog, unbearable heat, snow and even a hurricane (I didn't know it when I left my house) to log my miles.

But all good things must end. The first time I ran on a treadmill, I was so bored I wanted to shoot myself after just 5 minutes. I couldn't even fathon running a single mile on that hamster wheel, let along MILES (plural).

I avoid using the treadmill like I avoid walking through the sale room of Forever21or Nordstrom's shoe section during Prom season. Despite the fact that I'd probably rather run a 5k naked than hop on a treadmill, I must admit, they do serve a purpose.

A) They are great if you are recovering from an injury. 
B) When it's 105 degrees outside, anything other than wallowing in front of my freezer is pretty much off the list. Treadmills inside in the air conditioning are more enticing than heat exhaustion and gagging during your run.
C) I love my knuckle lights, reflective gear and glowsticks, but even I get weary of running in the dark, especially if it's rainy/foggy/overcast or super cold. Sometimes I feel braver than others (i.e. when I have a posse with me...cause that's how I roll) and then sometimes I don't want to risk an injury...or you know getting hit by a car...or bat.

For the days when I'm forced inside, I use that time to work on my speed. Because the treadmill is a constant speed and grade, it makes specific workouts easier to do (but take the pace and speed with a grain of salt because often times the machines aren't calabrated properly).

Cecelia's Favorite "You'll-Absolutely-Hate-Me-But-Love-Me-When-You-Win" Treadmill Workout:

Warm up for 10 minutes, then set the treadmill at your approximate marathon pace. (If you've never run a marathon, estimate your marathon time by multiplying your typical 10-K time by 4.65.) With the treadmill elevated 1 degree, run for 2 minutes at marathon pace, then elevate the incline to 2 degrees and run for 2 minutes. Next return to 1 degree for 2 minutes, but then climb to 3 degrees for 2 minutes.
Continue in this manner, raising the grade on every other 2-minute repeat until you've reached 7 degrees (the inclination pattern is 1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5-1-6-1-7). Finish the workout by running an easy 8- to 10-minute cooldown.
Are you strictly an outdoor runner or do you like the treadmill? 




No comments:

Post a Comment